Register with the proper authorities

Federal and State

The Internal Revenue Service provides your Employer Identification Number (EIN), while the Virginia Department of Taxation provides your Virginia Tax Identification Number (also called Certificate Registration Number). If you are planning to have employees, you may also need to pay unemployment tax and other payroll taxes. Contact the Virginia Employment Commission for more information.